Report of Science Fair
Date: 18th to 29th September2017 Time: 3 to 6 p.m.
Place: Community Halls / Anganwadi in slums
Science exhibition was organized by the students of tuition classes in 11 Slum areas (Rasulabad, Bhathena, Patichal, Sangamtekri, Nagsen Nagar, Althan, Swami Vevika, MilanNagar, Agasi Nagar, AnanadNagar, Udhan 7-9). The aim of the Science Fair was to encourage children to learn science through experimentation. The visitors to the Science Fair were mostly from the slums wherever the fair was organized. The projects for the Science Fair were selected and prepared by the students from the tuition classes and by their teachers under the mentorship of Project coordinators, Br Sandesh and Field Supervisors. Science Fairs were organized in 11 tuition classes in slums by their respective teachers and explained to the visitors by the children of that tuition class.
All the projects were prepared by the children with some technical support provided by their teachers. Working in teams to prepare the science project was a great learning experience for many of them. It helped us to bring best out of each student. Science fair was visited by more than 2300 people from the 11 slums. People coming in big numbers to watch the exhibition brought cheer to the faces of children. All the projects were well explained by the children. They were well versed with the projects prepared by them. The visitors –mostly parents and neighbors were quite delighted to see and hear their children speaking spontaneously and confidently.
Table 1: Details of Science fair in different tuition class areas
The major objectives of the Science Fair:
i. To provide opportunity to the talented or creative students, in order to facilitate nourishment and nurture of their creative dimension.
ii. Science fairs prove a good media and means to the science students to put theory into practice.
iii. To develop imaginary power by creative thinking.
iv. To provide environment to explore ones talents & develop the hidden skills of children
v. To give chance to children to learn through self exploration.
vi. To infuse interest in the students for Science through Science Fairs
1) Meeting with Program Chief Functionary Mr. Samir Macwan and Core staff of Navsarjan :
To make event successful eight meetings were conducted. The teachers were asked to find out from their students the themes / topics for the proposed science projects. The teachers came up with number of suggestions. Mrs. Pushpa Macwan selected some science projects, among the ones proposed by the teachers, with the help of Mr. Samir Macwan and Br Sandesh. All the projects were prepared by children under the guidance of Mr. Samir Macwan and brother Sandesh and Mrs. Pushpa Macwan and the teachers of the tuition classes.
2) Parents and Mahila Mandal members were informed:
As a part of the preparation, 5-6 meetings were organized by Mahila Mandal members, in order to discuss and plan about the Science Fair. In these meetings, various responsibilities were accepted by the members, in order to make the venture effective and successful. The responsibilities taken by them were arrangement for the display of projects, drinking water facility, arrangement to see the science projects by all in an order, seating arrangement for children who were to take part in it etc.
As preparations for the Science Fairs, the families were visited and informed about the Science Fairs in each of the above mentioned places. The local Mahila Mandal accepted the responsibility to do the logistical arrangements for the Science Fairs in their respective areas. In addition, Mahila Mandal’s members took responsibility to advertise the Science Fairs in their areas. The dates and time were given to all the children and their parents and also to the Mahila Mandal leaders. The Mahila Mandal leaders took the responsibility to inform the people of the area and oversee the proceedings of the day.
Rallies were organized in each tuition class area to make propaganda about Science Fair and ensure that maximum people turn out to see the exhibition. In this rally, children informed about the time and place of Science fair as the children were playing drums and children were dancing and expressing their joy. After that the chief guests Fr. Isaac Rumao (Director of Navsarjan Trust), Mr. Samir Macwan (Program Chief Functionary) and Brother Sandesh inaugurated the Science fairs for all by cutting a ribbon. In some of the slums, the chief guests were local Surat Municipal Corporation SchoolPrincipals, Government pre-schooling in charges, some of the active member of the slum who help in various programs of Navsarjan trust. The members of the Mahila Mandals welcomed the guests with roses.
Projects were as under:
Windmill, Water cycle, Digestive System, Lunar eclipse, Solar eclipse, Solar system
Highlights of the Program:
1. We have selected, prepared and demonstrated 7 projects. All projects/ models were working models.
2. All the projects were prepared by the children with some technical support provided by their teachers. Working in teams to prepare the science project was a great learning experience for many of them. It helped us to bring out best out of each
3. Science fair was visited by more than 2300 people from the 11 slums.
4. All the projects were well explained by the children. They were well versed with the projects prepared by them. The visitors –mostly parents and neighbors were quite delighted to see and hear their children speaking spontaneously and confidently.
Observation and Experience:
1. Children took part with a great zeal in the Science Fair.
2. During the Science Fair all the staff and the children took an active part with lots of enthusiasm. All the children looked very energetic and enjoyed the fair as they experiment projects.
3. Working models attracts all spectators/ viewers.
4. It brought confidence in the children.
5. During the whole Science Fair children learned as well they enjoyed.
6. Children’s parents were extremely happy to see an active participation of their children in the fair.
7. The children were enthusiastic to conduct better the following year.